Monday, December 1, 2008

First!!!!

I was just going to do this T. Thanks.

I'll kick it off with the two bread recipes that I made in Texas. First up is a simple Boule. It's from the Food Network. Becky and I have been watching a show called "Dinner Impossible". The premise of the show is that the host, Michael Symon (used to be Robert Irvine), has to cook a dinner for a bunch of people (as low as 100 but as high as 250. I've only seen a few episodes) in five hours.

Here are the basic ingredients and a link for the instructions.
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 (1/4-ounce) packet fresh fast-acting yeast
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water, between 100 and 115 degrees F, as measured with a candy thermometer (any hotter will kill the yeast - an organic leavener; too cool and the yeast won't be activated)
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus some extra for kneading
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dinner-impossible/fresh-baked-boules-recipe/index.html


The Challah recipe was taken from a website that Becky found. I think that the bread could benefit from a little bit more sweetener. I substituted honey for the sugar straight up and followed the instructions normally. I think I ended up kneading in a little more flour than would normally be called for but was very happy with the results.

  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 5 eggs
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cold water
  • 1 tablespoon Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Challah/Detail.aspx

No comments: