Sunday, January 10, 2010

Starting the Year Off Locally

Zeb and I are always looking for ways to support our local businesses. I suppose it stems from his alternative upbringing and my French one (Thank you O wonderful parents!). To start 2010 off right, we signed up for 3 months of Farmhouse Delivery.

This week the brightly colored delivery van dropped off our first shipment: Louisiana shallots, sweet potatoes, Marrs oranges, green cabbage, broccoli, leaf lettuce, mixed Asian greens, curly parsley, white icicle radishes, and cherry tomatoes. They came in a large plastic container which we will set out next time to be reused by Farmhouse Delivery.


Although we received an email with a list of what to expect, we also knew the items could change. This was a valid concern this week due to the holidays and abnormally cold Texan weather. I eagerly waited for the delivery Friday morning. Zeb was good and only texted once to ask if it came. I was pleasantly surprised by the contents. It was packed full of great smelling vegetables plus fresh eggs and goat cheese which Zeb ordered to surprise me :)

After rearranging the fridge to fit the new food, I plopped down on the couch with several recipe books. Zeb wanted to use his new tagine, but winter vegetable don't mix well with Moroccan cooking. I'm still not sure what we'll cook, but I am willing to bet the cabbage is used in a Polish dish.

No comments: